Monday, October 26, 2009

Reasoning with Jasper

The last few months, Keith and I have been trying to adjust to disciplining Jasper. Jasper is a very curious toddler, which most are. However, Jasper has a knack for going for the one thing in the room that you DON'T want him to play with. Struggling with the frustrated screams Jasper lets out from being told NO consistently every where we go has forced Keith and I to try new approaches to parenting. Instead of saying no all the time, I have been working on reasoning with Jasper and redirecting him. For instance when Jasper is caught coloring on the walls with his crayons (don't worry washable crayons were the best invention EVER-they wipe right off the wall) we try to redirect him to coloring on paper versus saying no to crayons all together. It truly is amazing to see Jasper accepting his redirection and is a virtual avoidance of a temper tantrum (sometimes). Now mind you this redirection has occurred several times already, but the more we do it the better he gets at understanding that we don't color on walls. I do find it a bit odd to be reasoning with a toddler, but hey it is so much better than dealing with an all out scream fest (something Jasper has become quite good at). I am sure that Keith and I are going to be getting a good education with reasoning with Jasper more and more as he gets older. I love it though, it truly shows the development of Jasper becoming a full fledged person. Despite his scream fests I love him all the same and wouldn't trade one temper tantrum in for anything :)!

No comments: